View Single Post
Old 11-26-2009, 11:36 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~KELLWANTSANSWERS~ View Post
Thank you for your replies.
It has been very frustrating with all the changes going on.
For her & my dad and myself.
She is sooo forgetful,especially the past few months!
She is no longer allowed to drive,that's one thing her primary care doc agreeded with.
He receives all of her info from other doctors.
He is also my primary care...I just don't get it.
I have been thinking of making a call and having him call me back to discuss it further.
Maybe he is trying to keep her from worrying...
I'm off to read on some of those posted links.
Many thanks to all of you,once again!
Happy thanksgiving~
Hi there, so sorry to hear of this challenge in your family. It sounds like you are the only one really investigating to check on reality. Sometimes I don't know which is worse denial in the doctors, or dementia in the patient. What I do know is that it would be highly beneficial to have your mom referred to a Gereontologist, a specialty for elderly medical conditions. There are many nutritional and metabolic imbalances that mimic dementia. These need to be ruled out first. Otherwise trust what you observe, feel and intuit and then go from there. The PCP is likely doing the same, but his conclusion fits the tools in his own toolbox, not necessarily appropriate in current situation. Also consider that the doctor is attached to your mom doing/feeling well and is affected by her condition yet feels helpless to do much for her. Ask him what his general policy is in cases like your moms. Maybe as he talks you will be able to see where he is able or unable to move forward effectively. Good luck and try not to let this disconnect from others observations make you feel too crazy. That just adds to stress with no resolution for you. Enjoy the day and I will send good wishes and blessing your way. ( P.S.-my mom just entered and extended care facility, my sister is her primary caregiver.) Best Wishes TT
tinglytoes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote