View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 12:08 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Foot pain bad despite sugar level reduction

Hi,
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes on 11-4-09. Prior to the diagnosis, my feet tingled a bit at times. I thought it was just from being overweight. I even saw a podiatrist in July to have the nails on both big toes removed as they were damaged due to a fall I had in 2003 and grew in deformed. Took at bit longer for them to heal than expected. I asked about the tingly feeling I have, mainly at night and especially if I put my feet up and when I go to bed. The podiatrist told me it's normal for the feet to swell and even feel a bit tingly at night, so I didn't worry because I thought for sure he would tell me if he thought I had neuropathy.

Well, now that I'm on meds, losing weight, and exercising every day (since Nov 1), my feel feel more tingly and sometimes numb! I don't understand why this would be getting worse instead of better. Also, the tingles are not always the same - sometimes one foot, sometimes the other, sometimes both. Sometimes it's on the sole of my foot only; other times my toes are numb and very sensitive on the top. Sometimes the little toe on my right foot is very painful to the point of barely being able to feel it, but some days it's totally ok. Seems like if I eat carbs or anything sugary, my feet flare up, but even if I don't the pain is still there sometimes, just not as intense.

I haven't been diagnosed officially with neuropathy, but I seriously suspect it. I see an endocrinologist the end of this week, and I think he'll tell me about it, but it seems strange to me that it's getting worse after treatment instead of better. Is this typical? Am I expecting too much too fast? Is nueropathy reversable?
eapat318 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote