View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 07:04 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs down It's me again!

I found another abstract of th is same publication, which is as follows:

Ann Neurol. 2009 Jun 18;66(5):591-596. [Epub ahead of print]

Dopaminergic transplantation for parkinson's disease: Current status and future prospects.
Olanow CW, Kordower JH, Lang AE, Obeso JA.

Department of Neurology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY.

Cell-based therapies that involve transplantation into the striatum of dopaminergic cells have attracted considerable interest as possible treatments for Parkinson's disease (PD). However, all double-blind, sham-controlled, studies have failed to meet their primary endpoints, and transplantation of dopamine cells derived from the fetal mesencephalon is associated with a potentially disabling form of dyskinesia that persists even after withdrawal of levodopa (off-medication dyskinesia). In addition, disability in advanced patients primarily results from features such as gait dysfunction, freezing, falling, and dementia, which are likely due to nondopaminergic pathology. These features are not adequately controlled with dopaminergic therapies and are thus unlikely to respond to dopaminergic grafts. More recently, implanted dopamine neurons have been found to contain Lewy bodies, suggesting that they are dysfunctional and may have been affected by the PD pathological process. Collectively, these findings do not bode well for the short-term future of cell-based dopaminergic therapies in PD. Ann Neurol 2009;66:591-596.

PMID: 19938101 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

I need to point out (if you didn't already know), that when some of these guys find a way to "trash" other therapies to make what they are doing look good, they'll do it every time. Surely, this is not the case here. Hmmm? But alas, I recognize some of these scientists' names, and it sure looks suspicious of such defamation.

We (science) have yet to prove that altering one's genetic system (aka gene therapy) is the way to go either. I have this mission to tell the world this about research: SHUT NO DOORS ON POSSIBLE THERAPIES! Now, why would I claim so bold a statement? BECAUSE WE HAVEN'T EVEN COME UP WITH A WAY TO POSITIVELY IDENTIFY THAT A PERSON EVEN HAS PARKINSON'S!

I guess what I'm really trying to say is WHO ARE THESE RESEARCHERS TO PROCLAIM THAT DOPAMINERGIC CELL REPLACEMENT IS OUT OF THE RUNNING?
pegleg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
olsen (11-30-2009)