View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 07:18 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

First I am so sorry for your loss. I am not aware of any statistics re suicidality and the AEDs. Each med comes with it's own adverse reactions discovered during trials. Vimpat has been used in the UK much longer than in the US and is too new for that info to be known I think. I do know with the AEDs and with other meds like antidepressants, it is always suggested to watch for signs of suicidality because no one really knows how a med will affect a person. Those around the patient will reconize differences in behavior and emotions first I would think; changes in sleep patterns, appetite, energy, outlook such as apathy, no desire etc. Also you mentioned several meds that she was on. Lots of meds and too much can cause seizures too. Not only does each med have its own effects The combination of the drugs has concomitant effects as well. I wish she had gone to an epileptologist at a Comprehensive Center since she had had surgery and was still having seizures on so many meds. Again I am sorry for your loss. Tattoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly1235 View Post
I really need to ask you some questions... my mother started this drug at200mg,she also was taking triasonal(prob. wrong spelling)@600 mg,an lyrica @200mg..she took for only 2 months....She committed suicide,and she was never suicidal,in the happiest time of her life....She had epilepsy for 28+years,had brain surgery 1989,(i dont know exactly what kind except it was the part removed right behind ear)I think she tried just about every sz med on market, ...... so do you know what the the suicide rate or warnings for it is....I'm just trying tofind out some info...I keep trying to talk to nuerologists trying to find answers,and they are so tight lipped,i guess they are afraid o lawsuits...I'm not wanting any money just want to keep this from happening to someone else...I realize everyone responds diff. to meds. but I can't just sit here knowing this med is very dangerous some people out there

any info would be greatly appreciated........thank you for your time
Tattoo2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote