View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 08:24 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default dandy-walker cyst the cause of my congenital hydro...

I was diagnosed at 2 mo of age with a Dandy-Walker cyst in my 4th ventricle which led to hydrocephalus. I had my first shunt at 2 mo of age, my second at 11 mo, my third at 5 yrs, and then didn't need to be shunted again until I was 32. My first adult experience of hydrocephalus was scary, vomiting, gait, bad headaches, and I received my first adult shunt tap Halloween 2003 and was hospitalized over then next 4 days for a shunt revision. Since then, 2006 and 2009 have been hard on me surgically, as now I face sharp pains in my forehead and back of neck that are not migraine in nature at all. I have had 6 shunt adjustments in 5 weeks, 3 head CT's, and 2 head X-rays. I got my first shunt tap since my last hospitalization last July. I hope my surgeon can find out how to "fine tune" my shunt valve to the right setting, because my original setting at 12 showed overdrainage. I have been set at 15, 18,
20, 16, and now 14 to see if the pain will go away on its own. I'm getting another head CT on Thursday, and I hope it can show something that these past 5 weeks of agony could not.
bboberg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote