View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 11:41 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattoush View Post
I have tried Topamax twice. First, totally naively and under the guidance of a very famous Philly doctor who warned me of nothing and never listened to nothing. It was the nurse who practically saved me from suicide when I had reached 100 mgs and shared my thoughts. Of course, I had all the other side effects, severe weight loss, hair loss, words loss, jitteriness, insomnia.... but I was migraine free!!!!!!
I could never forget that. Nothing ever gave me that freedom after Topamax. So a few years later, with a much nicer neuro, a Pdoc on board, and a plan to titrate very slow, I am hoping I can do it. Any one got results at as little as 50 mgs and for a while? Your side effects please? I do get depressed at as soon as 50mgs but hope I can handle it better than migraine.

I've tried every other prophy, believe me please. I don't want to list them.

Am I taking a stupid step?
I got results with 25 mgs. I LOVE this stuff!! But, the 25 mgs only worked for about 6 months -- and I had to up to 50 mgs. -- which only worked for about 6 months -- had to up to 75 mgs. -- only worked for.........you get the picture. I am now on 125 mgs. Actually, I probably could have continued with the 25 mgs. and had break-through migraines 2 or 3 days a month -- and that would not be bad. I wanted it ALL -- NO MIGRAINES -- so, I keep on upping the dosage. I do not seem to be having ANY side effects at all. I also have Myasthenia Gravis -- and Topamax seems to relieve some of the muscle discomfort in my shoulders and neck.

I started out with the REAL stuff -- when it went generic, I switched -- no problems, works the same for me. Now, here is the STRANGE part -- I have HUGE problems with MOST meds -- Prednisone makes ME suicidal -- I cannot take most of the meds for MG -- so, it is REALLY, REALLY strange that Topamax gives me no trouble at all. I am MORE than a little ticked that I have NOT lost any weight -- LOL!!! And, it makes my hair and nails grow FASTER than ever!!

Did you DRINK enough? I drink water or weak tea ALL day long. Did you try SPLITTING your dose -- half in the morning and half at night? Did they check your blood levels to see how your body was metabolizing the Topamax? Topamax makes your body "acid". I take a Tums at night before I go to bed -- I wonder if that might help you? You might need to research a "low acid diet". I take MY Topamax IN the morning (best for me).