View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 07:13 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Thumbs up Typos, Wrong Words, Weakness: Ataxia?

I am highly gluten-sensitive (very high gliadin -- over 80), and I am wondering if I should have a DQ1 test run. I do not have Celiac (biopsy, DQ2/8 negative).

My question: For the past few years prior to my diagnosis, I have been having abnormal (for me) difficulties with typos, finding the right words when I try to explain something, especially when someone asks me where to find something in the house -- I have to get up and show them, I cannot explain it . . . and brain fog. Oh my gosh, for a while I felt as though I couldn't read even the most simple set of instructions without having a nervous breakdown!

I was never this way. I always used to love instructions. Nerd, yes, I know, I know.

I have never been the most coordinated person in the world. I don't fall a lot, but I do have to really watch myself. I have taken a few life-threatening falls in my life, especially right after waking in the morning.

Simple things such as going down an elevator may take me a little longer than most, and good grief, I still cannot figure out how people in airports can get on an elevator with their luggage behind them. Things like that are impossible for me.

Numbness in arms and hands, especially at night.

Numbness in legs before being diagnosed. During my gluten challenge, numbness in legs became almost intolorable, especially at night. I could not keep my legs still for more than a minute, and I would awaken numb quite frequently.

MUCH of this has gotten better since going gluten-free, thank goodness!

The typo thing really haunts me, though. When it started to happen, it bothered me, but over time, it really freaked me out! It still is not completely better. I am a writer. I know how to type and write. So horrible!

So, I guess after all of this, my question is if it would be smart for me to be tested for DQ1. And if yes, why? If I am already eating a gluten-free diet, does it matter at this point?

THANK YOU for any assistance.
Lynayah is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote