View Single Post
Old 09-14-2006, 11:20 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I think Anthony Chicoke in his books says for children under 12 they should take one quarter the dose for adults. Children over 12 should take one half the amount for adults.

I think enzymestuff.com is Karen Defelice's website. Her book Enzymes for Autism... says that a specific type of enzymes from Houston Neurtaceuticals are the best for anyone with gluten or cesium problems. They may not work for everyone but will help most people with these food issues.

But even Defelice says trail and error is part of the process when it comes to enzymes.

Initially you can have a problem with protease enzymes. These can cause some irritation to the GI tract. That is the only caution I know about when it comes to enzymes. I also read that protease enzymes may actually destroy certain other types of enzymes if you take too much protease.

You can use a half capsule, for example, by sprinkling the contents onto food, instead of using that half inside a capsule. The only thing is that you have to make sure that those enzymes don't linger in the mouth or around the lips. Some enzymes, like the protease, break down animal flesh; so just make sure they are being swallowed down completely.

If it is a big meal you might be able to give your child one capsule. Trial and error is really part of the process with enzymes.

I think the bottom line is that the protease enzymes can be the most powerful especially for anti-inflammatory capabilities but these can also be the ones that need to be used with some caution. A broad spectrum enzyme product would be a different issue. These should be fine if you keep the dose to what is recommended on the bottle or for a child by reducing that recommended dose.

But for people who have allergies or sensitivities the protease enzymes can have other benefits, mainly the anti-inflammatory properties. These would be best used on an empty stomach probably. Bromelain is the most commonly known protease with excellent anti-inflammatory properties but not the only one. The allergic reaction is an inflammatory response, so using systemic enzymes may help to reduce the allergic reaction symptoms over time.
orthomolecular is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote