View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 01:59 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

This brings to mind the two Canadian doctor's who discovered that botox had significant applications for cosmetic purposes, Dr. Jean Carruthers & Dr. Alastair Carruthers. I don't know what the ethical obligations of Canadian doctors are but I assume it is much the same as the AMA. I read an interview with this dynamic duo where they discussed this very issue. Early on in their discovery they made a conscious decision to share the information with the medical world without applying for a patent. Ultimately they decided that it was the right thing to do despite the fact that they knew they would not make money off it once the information was released.

Is it the simply smell of money behind this or is it the laws that allow the arguments to be put forth? Perhaps it's both?

It certainly brings up some important questions. Would doctors & researchers be more inclined to look for more treatments such as this if there is more financial incentive in it for them personally?

If two doctors can give up their financial rights for the sake of a wrinkle free world surely a few doctors can share this information for the sake of patients experiencing refractory pain like CRPS.

This is very interesting information Mike, thanks for posting.

MsL
Mslday is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
fmichael (11-30-2009)