View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat265 View Post
I have been trying for the past 3 weeks to follow a gluten free diet. I had a few slip ups but for the most part I think I have been able to cut out gluten, at the very least 80% of it.

My question is even if I was only able to cut out 80% should I feel a little better? How long do you have to follow this diet to know it is working?

It is an all or nothing sort of thing. While some people might feel a little better just by reducing the gluten load (or even carb load), you really need to give it up completely to halt the immune system response.

Unfortunately, it can take up to 6 months to a year or more for people to feel well. Some know they are better in the first week, but others may require longer to heal a damaged gut, fix nutritional deficiencies, and ferret out other related problems that also need fixing.

And... for example... if someone is gluten and casein sensitive, and they only remove gluten... casein may keep them feeling bad. It can be a process to figure it all out, and determine what factors are at play.

P.S. Wiz, Daisy is an adorable kitten!

jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (11-29-2009)