View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 10:44 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
I don't believe that stomach acid enhances absorption of medications.

You may notice motility changes when going off or on SSRI drugs like Lexapro. Since this drug increases serotonin in the synapse, it affects gastric functioning for some people. Some people have nausea/vomiting on it or diarrhea. Serotonin is the main neurotransmitter in the GI tract.

Solubility in water, is the most critical factor for absorption, but even then, some insoluble things do get thru. Giving highly lipophilic drugs with a fatty meal, can help absorption of this type.

I have not been aware of drugs needing acid to be absorbed...I wonder who told you that.

In fact long term use of PPI drugs leads to gas and more reflux.
This is because the protein you eat is not digested properly and is fermented by bacteria in the intestine instead forming gas.
The gas then come back up or down depending along with diarrhea for some people. This is why those side effects are listed for those drugs. Gas coming back up as a belch, will also reflux food if it is present.

I'm wondering what all this means. i tried my best to absorb the merck with the ionizing and unionzing. it seems a bit complicated. and what if anything, my poor tolerability of aspirin has to do with this.

everytime i take aspirin, i feel like it really does a number on my throat, it's hard to describe but it causes an immediate weakening of me, along with crepitus in my throat region. and i end up having trouble sleeping the night, and so for a few days i don't feel myself.

i hate having to deal with this stuff, and having to go through doc after doc, just to have him kick me out of the office, with his payment in hand. I know that there's just this truth out there that they haven't gotten to yet.

because u know when there's something wrong, and ive known since about 7 years back and i think i can pretty much tell the difference between somatic and non somatic. hell, i even read 'house of god', in which the whole point of the whole story was that none of us are sick, we're just in need of love and I also tried to get into a hypochondriac study just to cancel out some variables.

fatigue, insomnia, migraine issues

neurontin
omega 3 fish oil, b complex,
acid blocker(famotidine)
Lopressor
NAC
low dose aspirin

Former, experience in:
Prozac
bruegger84 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote