View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 02:21 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raglet View Post
hi guys, I am hoping you will be able to help with this.

I am getting terrible cramps in my legs - not so much in the big muscles, but in smaller muscles (I think anyway) just above my ankle on the side of my leg. I also have some other areas that are cramping up.

The thing that makes this so miserable is that standing up does not fix the cramp. I am waking in the middle of the night with an intense cramp that doesn't respond to anything much (walking around, massage etc). To be honest I just mutter and swear until it goes away. Once it has gone, it just retriggers and is all on again unless I manage to keep my feet in a 'normal' position which is pretty much impossible. I have club feet from my sensory motor neuropathy.

I have started magnesium supplements, and already take calcium, plus I will ask my OT at my appointment next week if there is anything soft I could use to position my feet at night. I wear foot drop slints during the day, but they are hard plastic and come up to my knees - not very comfortable for sleeping.

I am unable to take baclofen etc, as even half a tablet makes me very sedated for days.

Any suggestions gratefully received - I am going away tomorrow for a couple of days on a work trip, but I will check back when I get home. Thanks guys

raglet
How about Potassium Choride supplements? A lack of Potassium can also cause muscles to cramp. Try a couple bananas a day and especially one before bed.
aeb105 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote