View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 01:29 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Big challenges

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkylynne View Post
My daughter has Neurofibromatosis type 1. It does not run in our family. She is 22 years old. She has had multiple spinal surgeries to remove tumors that were compressing her spinal cord. She also had a malignant tumor (a MPNST) removed from her sciatic nerve in her left leg. They had to remove the nerve to get the tumor. As a result, she has no feeling or function from her knee down. They feel they got all of the tumor and she is doing well. She is able to walk but has to use a walker.

NF is an awful disorder. There is no treatment or cure. The first line of treatment is surgery to remove the tumor that is causing problems. However, since the tumors are part of nerves, when you remove a tumor is severs a nerve resulting in the loss of function and/or sensation somewhere in the body. Also, when the tumors are growing, they are painful.

1:2500 people are born with NF. It is quite common but no one has heard of it since there has not been any media coverage about it. It effects everyone differently, even within the same family. You can learn more at: **

~Lynne
My heart goes out to you and your daughter, & all family and friends. How challenging to have such a rare disorder using an almost barbaric surgical intervention. Despite this frightening scenario, I pray she can maintain a sense gratitude, and hope all blessings, peace and love will come to her, despite the suffering. May you be blessed with all the resources needed to remain strong for her. My prayers, big hug and bunches of flowers for you both.Thank you for reaching out to let others know. Best Wishes TT
tinglytoes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote