Thread: Miralax
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 08:36 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejibo View Post
ok, I give up. My GI is going to do an endoscopy/colonoscopy next week on me. I am very constipated, and he suggested I use miralax. I have taken this stuff in the past, and ended up in the other direction. He suggested I take 1/4 dose, and move it up a 1/4 dose each day till I start getting the results I am more comfortable on.

why does the active ingredient remind me of anti freeze?

Anyone else take this?

Tell me your experience please.
I myself have never taken this but my DD has. She got a rash while on it and found out she is allergic to polyethylene glycol - the only ingredient in Miralax. She continued to get rashes from other products with polyethylene glycol and propylene glycol. I did hours of research and without boring you to death, these glycols, and others, are used to make anti freeze!

FYI they are also found in your shampoos, lotions, toothpaste, baby wipes, food dyes, cake mixes, nail polish, body sprays, deoderants - the list is endless. They also have many abbreviations which mean the same thing (PEG, PEO, PPG, PG). It takes forever to shop and find products safe for my DD.

I don't worry about this for myself, just avoid it for my DD because she has this rare allergy. I could go on and on about this subject just because I have had to do so much research because her doctors, even her allergist, have never had a patient allergic to it!

From what I've heard, most people I know that have used this, it worked.

Last edited by karousel; 12-01-2009 at 09:23 PM.
karousel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote