View Single Post
Old 12-02-2009, 12:56 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Mike,

It will depend on the amount of lidocaine being given to you to determine how long the infusion will last. Your doctor may have a different protocol for you but I'm always given 800 mg over 2 hours. 100 mg is given to me as a bolus pushed over 5 minutes while the other 700 mg is given through the infusion pump.

Typically the relief from lidociane will last me for about 2 weeks. When it wears off it's more like a battery running down slowly. I'd like to have them scheduled every 2 weeks but my doctor wants me to come every 3 weeks.

I don't need any other medication before or after as I'm fine with the infusion. I used to take mexillitine orally (it's an oral form of lidocaine) but I had to go off it due to high blood pressure.

Talking about high blood pressure that is something that typically happens to most patients during the infusion, it is monitored very closely so there is nothing to worry about. It returns to normal shortly after the infusion is stopped. I've never had nausea, sometimes a bit of a headache throughout the day but nothing that a tylenol and rest won't fix.

You can expect to feel drowsy during the infusion, initially your lips and tongue may feel a bit numb and you might hear a rushing sound in your head. It all calms down. As soon as the infusion is stopped I typically wake up and am able to get my self ready to go home within a half hour or so.

I have someone pick me up and if I can't get a ride I take a taxi home. It's important to rest for the day but it's no big deal. I've been known to come home feeling quite good and over do things a bit.

I have some arthritis pain in my left jaw from TMJ and I can't really say that the lidocaine helps me with that. I do hope your doctor is right and that it helps your lower back pain.

Let us know how you do and good luck.

MsL
Mslday is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote