Old 12-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplaura View Post
Wow Dej, that's nuts.

Erin...on the hypochondriac subject, I was accused while in limbo by several 'friends' of mine of being hypo. Should have seen their faces when they heard the diagnosis.

I don't speak to them anymore.
A PA that still works at my doctor's office all but accused me of being a hypochondriac when I complained of numbness in my right thigh in May of 2006. Because she couldnt find evidence of a broken bone or sprain or obvious injury, she told me there was nothing wrong with me and sent me on my numb little way.

In August of 2006 I had my first episode of optic neuritis, and that's when they told me I might have MS and were very interested to hear that I'd had numbness since very early April or March of that year. (I waited a long time before kvetching to the PA about the numbness)

In January of 2007, I got the diagnosis of MS. I remember taking my mom to the doctor there for something about that time and seeing the PA in the hallway outside the exam room my mom was in. PA asked me how I was. I got a little snippy with her and said "I've got MS, thanks for treating me like I was a <bleepity bleep> hypochondriac".

She just said "sorry", and got out of my way really quick. I hope she's improved her bedside manner since then. Everytime I've had to deal with her she still treats me like I'm Little Miss Fakeity Fake, so I dont think she's going to change.

Thank goodness that doctor's office got another PA who is totally cool (and also works nights at the Emergicare that I've had to go to a few times this year for emergency antibiotics.) She at least trusts me when I say I've got a particular problem, because I've had enough of that particular problem to know when I've got a real problem.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dmplaura (12-04-2009), Kitty (12-04-2009), legzzalot (12-04-2009)