Thread: Books
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 12:45 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

So I am a reading machine! I love all kinds of books and literature, from Faulkner to those fabulous Janet Evanovich books that are like brain candy. In fact, to help me go to sleep at night I listen to books on my ipod. I highly recommend this to everyone too.

But your question made me start wondering- besides my neuro textbooks, what books have I read that feature a character dealing with pain? So I looked at amazon to check out what I've read that fits into this genre. And there really aren't any that I can think of!
The one book that I think is not just a journal paper and deals with this a little bit more is:
The Culture of Pain by David Morris. A nonfiction book, but it is about how pain fits into culture and society. It's interesting.

And then there are so many books that are more about existential pain or depression or alienation. Maybe that explore these feelings without the character having chronic pain. What kinds of fiction do you like?

Faulkner is good for alcoholic depression, and Hemingway always makes me feel like less of an outsider. A book that I read recently is called "I Know This Much Is True" by Wally Lamb. It's good. It's about a man whose twin brother is profoundly schizophrenic and their relationship and life. It's heavy but touching and good.

So what is everyone's favorite book?

Lynns
Lynns409 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote