View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 12:33 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default ATFP and running out of options

I have finished my 4th prescribed medicine by the neurologist for what has has been diagnosed as atypical facial pain caused by dental work a few years ago. The neurologist I am seeing is very good and kind, but he also is so focused on a neuropathic issue that I am getting frustrated. None of the medicines(trileptal, lyrica, baclofen, tramodol) have made an ounce of difference. He wantsto prescirbe a medicine called Savella which has only been out for 8 months in the US and is for fibromyalgia, but he has seen it work for ATFP patients. However, the maximum dose in trials was set to 100Mg and he wants me to do 400MG. I have been trying acupuncture which works temporarlily. I do not qualify for any neurosurgical approach because the neurologist does not really know what I have and so the ATFP diagnosis. I do not have ATN or TN. Just variable throbbing in my upper molars and on left and right sides. My dentist who is also very good is frustrated because he believes it is an unresolved dental issue and he is tired of seeing me suffer in pain. I do have vague dental symptoms but they are dental symptoms nonetheless. I did have a root canal in the area in question which did not help but my dentist says root canals do not always work and other approaches may be necessary. I even saw an ENT who said I have some chronis sinus issues(although milder in nature) but it would be unlikely they would be causing my discomfort. Basically I do not know who to believe and it has been two years of pain. If I could convince my self to live with it maybe that would be the best option, but the pain can be unrelenting at times. Any opinions would be appreciated!

Alex
wavegeek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Burntmarshmallow (12-04-2009)