View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 12:53 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Unfortunately, Seattle is Ground Zero for the cognative/behavioral school of pain psychiatry. Specifically at the University of Washington Schhol of Medicine and its affilliated clinics. Their basic approach is that patients with non-cancer chronic pain should NEVER be on opiates and should instead learn to live their lives around it, and avoid pain catastrophizing. Now, while I'm a big believer in mindfulness over catastrophizing, there is, unfortunately, only so far you can get with full flair CRPS. (I know a lady who is truly an enlightened master but takes her dialaudid right on schedule: she has however spent 12 strait hours meditating on on BURNING only to see it break up into bliss.)

A couple of years ago, on behalf of a forum member in Washington, I contacted my uncle, who at that point was a recently retired psychiatrist at a very good hospital in Seattle. He called around and reported back a couple of days later that there was no one in Seattle or that State of Washington he could recommend.

That said, checking those anthesthesiologists with Board Certification from the American Board of Pain Medicine - which means that they must (1) have completed for formal residency or fellowship in pain medicine, (2) passed an 8 hour written exam, and (3) keep up a heavy load of continuing education reqirements - I come up with two names in Seattle using its online database at http://www.association-office.com/ab...dir/search.cfm And, unbelievably for a major metropolitan area with a nationally ranked medical school, no one with training in anesthesiology holds that certification at the University of Washington. (Of course, there may well be a reason for that: see above.) The two names I have are:
Gordon A Irving, MD
Swedish Pain Management Sevices
Ste 200
1101 Madison St
Seattle, WA 98104

Office Phone: (206)386-2013
Office Fax: (206)215-2229
http://www.swedish.org/body.cfm?id=164
and
Walter Jaques Trautman, III MD (St. Joseph Hospital)
17717 17th Ave NW
Seattle, WA 98177-3311

Office Phone: (206)368-6600
Office Fax: (360)752-3214
Office E-Mail: tytoalba@earlink.net
Of course, I have no information as to the bedside manner of either gentlemen. You might want to look at the link to the Swedish Pain Management Sevices. It's just a few doctors, who appear to be largely but not exclusively oriented to cancer pain. It could be worth a shot. Thomas Yang, M.D. in that department looks interesting as well. (And Dr. Irving, who appears to be a relatively recent transplant to Seattle from UT Houston, is himself an clinical associate prof. of anesthesiology at U Wash, but that probably means little more than they run rotations for residents through there.)

Also running a seach on Dr. Trautman, I don't see anything under St. Joseph Hospital outside of Tacoma and Gig Harbor, and then searching those sites under Dr. Trautman's name comes up empty, but do find a pdf listing for him as of March of this year on the roster of the North Seattle Surgery Center, LLC which lists Dr. Trautman's address as follows:
Trautman, Walter J., III, M.D.
10330 Meridian Ave N
Suite 150
Seattle, WA 98133

(206) 368-6640
I wish I had more I could share with you. Does anyone have any experience with Swedish Pain Management Sevices?

Mike
fmichael is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
loretta (02-09-2010)