15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Local teacher 'free at last'
Click-2-Listen
By By Rick McCrabb

Staff Writer

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

WEST CHESTER TWP. — Her obituary wasn't the final chapter in Lois "Tot" Schultz Ashworth's life.

Ashworth, 12 days shy of her 62nd birthday, died Saturday after a 31/2-year battle against amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Lou Gehrig's disease.

During her Monday afternoon memorial service — fittingly called "My Life In Song" – her contributions to Middletown, where she lived, and West Chester Twp., where she worked, were celebrated through music, memories and an emotional slide show.

The pews at West Chester Church of the Nazarene were packed with family, friends and former students.

One person said after the service: "I'm going to put the program with my will. I want something like this when I die."

Music filled the church before the service, and, nearly an hour later, as pallbearers wheeled Ashworth's casket up the aisle, her family members continued to sing.

The Rev. Virgil Applegate, who called himself Ashworth's "spiritual daddy," said she always helped others, and through her fight against the incurable ALS, showed "courage and inspiration."

Later, he referred to Ashworth as "a shining star that will never quit shining."

Ann Mincey, one of Ashworth's three sisters, carried a basket of stones to the podium. Each stone, she said, represented a part of her sister's life: faith, family and fun. But when paying tribute to Ashworth, there was no way to separate the three.

That's when Mincey displayed one large rock.

"She is very much alive," Mincey said. "She has taken her first heavenly breath."

And once in heaven, Mincey knew the first person her sister would seek.

"She's up there right now talking to Dr. Martin Luther King," Mincey said. "She's saying, 'Free at last. Free at last.'"

Ashworth taught in the Lakota Local School District for 30 years, retiring in 2000. Paul Carpenter, now an adult, represented all of Ashworth's former students.

He said Ashworth was his second-grade teacher at Adena Elementary School. He remembered a day when a bully threatened to beat him up — at the red monkey bars — but before the confrontation, he was comforted by Ashworth.

She hugged Paul and assured him of his safety.

"My confidence started that day," he said.

As Sam Ashworth, Lois' companion for 21 years and her husband for 10 years, stepped to the podium, he asked the overflow crowd to "take a deep breath, please."

He pulled out a tissue, and said his wife promised to give him strength at her memorial service.

"She's not helping me at all," Ashworth said.

He broke down again, then before walking away, said, "She will never stop singing."

He was greeted with a standing ovation. Lois Virginia "Tot" Schultz Ashworth, the woman with a personality to match her many names, probably put down her heavenly hymn book, and joined the congregation.

Contact this

columnist

at (513) 705-2842 or rmccrabb@coxohio.com.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Eugene Nelson

ARVADA, Colo. — Eugene Nelson, 86, formerly of Anderson, died Jan. 16, 2007 of Lou Gehrig’s disease.

He worked at Delco Remy and served in the Merchant Marines during World War II. He worked for Kiebler Bakery in Denver until he retired.

Survivors include his wife, Benarda; son, Dan; two daughters, Barbara and Carla; and his sister, Virginia Thomason.

Services will be held at 2:30 p.m. Tuesday. Visitation will be Monday at Olinger Crown Hill, 7777 W. 29th Ave., Wheat Ridge, Colo.

ALS/MND Registry

Last edited by BobbyB; 01-21-2007 at 05:01 PM.
BobbyB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote