View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Well, I finally spoke up for myself today. I was in Rite Aid picking up a prescription and I went in the store. I usually go through the drive-thru but there were four cars lined up so I just went in.

As soon as I entered the store the florescent lights started doing their thing and I was instantly dizzy. I got a shopping cart so I'd have something to hold onto.

I got back to the pharmacy and parked my buggy off to the side (within my reach) and stood at the pickup counter. There was a woman and her teenaged daughter there, too. Their rx was ready before mine so I went to move over so they could get to the counter to check out. I didn't have my cart to hold onto and I sort of swayed back and forth and thought I was going to fall but I didn't. The woman looked at her daughter and sort of smirked and did the hand signal for too much to drink (drinking from an invisible cup). The daughter sort of half-smiled but didn't say anything. I saw it all. I started not to say anything but then thought that I needed to set her straight.

I looked right at her and said "Excuse me but I couldn't help but see you signal to your daughter that you thought I'd been drinking. I haven't. I have MS....Multiple Sclerosis....and it causes me to lose my balance quite often. You can google it and learn quite a bit about it online." That's all I said. I wasn't mean about it but I did let her know that her actions did not go unnoticed.

She was a little flustered - probably more than she let on - and said "Oh, I have a friend with MS and I know how devastating it can be." No apology, nothing else. I just smiled and nodded and didn't say anything. I think I got my point across. Her daughter looked mortified and went to sit in the waiting area all the way at the other end of the counter!
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dmplaura (12-08-2009), gonnamakeit (12-07-2009), kicker (12-10-2009), legzzalot (12-08-2009), SallyC (12-07-2009), Twinkletoes (12-15-2009)