Thread: Movies: The Blind Side
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 02:20 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Saw the movie the other day and really liked it.

However, it does make one think about the nature vs. nurture discussion.

I am in school currently and most of my professors think it is 50/50.

A neurologist I know, feels nature (biology) is a bigger influence.

I read a NY Times article that says the movie made him think that nurture was a bigger influence.

Perhaps there is no clear cut answer or it really depends on the circumstances.

In this case, we have a healthy individual who was originally in an unhealthy environment. He was very fortunate to have that environment change. And he was very wise to make good choices in his life. And make good use of his new environment. And good use of his time...working very hard.

Perhaps a person could be unhealthy and be in a good environment, but it would make little or no difference. Biology is a VERY powerful force. The will, is a powerful force as well...

As I type this, it occurs to me, that when a person is unwell, if they are given a good environment and medical care as necessary...AND they work hard...perhaps this provides the best hope for a good outcome. It does likely take many steps on many people's parts (ncluding the individual's part) to get the best result. I don't particularly think there are any guarantees though. Kinda like when a physician gives a patient the proper medication and yet he or she passes away. This is a hard pill to swallow.

Anyway...good movie! Worth going!!!
Vowel Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote