View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 03:11 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipe View Post
Hi there

If the one's EMG is normal and the Skin biopsy that one's gonna do is also normal (negative for small neuropathic pain), can one infer that the prolonging of his pain is psicossomatic? Maybe due to anxiety?

Or on the other hand, if a skin biopsy is positive for small fiber neuropathies and a year later is negative can can one infer his pain is going to be over?

Thank you

PSdoes a idiopathic small fibers neuropathic pain can be seen during a skin biopsy?)
IF both are normal that wouldn't indicated Neuropathy. There are a few other things that are needed to determine if the Neuropathy could be from your spinal column. An SSEP is a test that will check for damage from the Spinal Column and a Brain MRI would check for damange there. I'm pretty sure you've stated to have had an MRI of the brain and it was normal, also a cervical MRI?

IF all is negative, than it is possible that "Tingling, Needles and Numbness" could be an attribute of anxiety. Anxiety does cause symptoms that mimic a nerve illness MINUS the pain! NOW as the pain is concerned, there is something called "Somatoform Disorder", which is a mental disorder or disease that MIMICS a PHYSICAL disease! It could cause pain and a host of other problems!

Back to the other causes, you need to have your Thyroid checked, have a full run of T3, Free T4 and TSH, that could cause neuropathies that wouldn't be found by EMG or Biopsies. Also, have your blood glucose checked, 2 Hr. fast and if you re-take the 12 hour fast it may show up something the second EVEN third time around!

There are many causes for your pains, don't you let the doctor label it as a "Mental' disorder, if he does, get another opinion until you're satisfied!

Keep me updated
Josh

BTW, it isn't the "pain" that they can see in the biopsy, what it will show is a smaller amount of the "small fiber" nerves/nerve endings in the skin, OR deadened nerves.

I have Idiopathic Small Fiber Neuropathy, it was a journey, but FINALLY they found it! Good luck
JoshuaY46012 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote