View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 09:20 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Nancy,
The had the Caudal Epidural shot in 2003. But herniated discs in 1995 prior to the accident. So..

I have been there too. (sigh) I had a left Laminectomy of L3,4,5, and S1. I had one bad fragmented herniated disc with splintered bone fragments, sticking into the whole area and a solid cyst compressing the cord around 1995. The pain was pretty bad. I tried conservative measures first.

Gentle PT, and the Regular cocktail Epidurals shots in the direct area of the herniated discs.. I had two and felt pretty good after the second one. One shot lasts about 6 months, then I had another. The Neuro-surgeon did offer surgery, but I waited. When the pain became unbearable because the cyst. The cyst is rare where it was and could had been a tumor, per MRI and a Myelogram and CT.

I decided to get the surgery, pain pills did not touch it again. I had the full back open surgery. Laparoscopic surgery for this surgery came out about 6 months later. (sigh again)

The Neuro-surgeon did an excellent job and I woke to no pain and no problems. I went back to work for many, many more years. I was fine, with a scar down my back, instead of three little holes. (sign again)

The spinal cord is not in that area, but the nerves are (see picture above) that is why I went with a Neuro-surgeon instead of an Orthopedic surgeon, because of the MS.

I hope some of this helps or just disregard my rambling on.. You are not alone.

May happiness be at your door. May it knock early, stay late, and leave the gift of good health behind.

"Life is what it is". We can only focus on controlling those things we can control, we must let go of the things we can't.
Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
NurseNancy (12-14-2009)