View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 11:58 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hey Mrs. D

Thanks so much for that info., it's really helpful! I agree that I think it's the androgens. Funny, I've always had a few chin and neck hairs...Like really thick, black ones. I think that this is why I got the Cushing's side-effects from the prednisone so quickly, maybe because I already had sorta a bit of an inbalance in sex hormones (although my periods have always been pretty normal up until the prednisone). I also no longer have periods (since predinsone), so definately, the hormones are out of wack. I saw a gyno. a few weeks ago. He said that if I haven't had my periods by our next visit (in January), we'll try hormones to induce one, but I don't want to go this route. I think that I like your idea better. I'm going to gather up some info. on that supplement and bring it to him and see what he thinks. I actually miss having my periods. I feel like such a 'dude' what with the facial hair, and lack of a period! lol

I looked up the herpetiformus rash and it doesn't resemble my rash at all. Mine's not that severe. They're just like these dry, itchy pimples, mainly around my hairline. My hair also 'hurts' when I move it. It's possible that it's acne, maybe. Also, my wounds heal very poorly too, so I guess that they might get infected more easilly and cause an acne-like appearance. I also have high blood glucose.

I will definately ask my doc. for the antibody test for Celiac's. I don't know if I want to have a biopsy right now. Last time I had a stomach procedure (colonoscopy/duodenoscopy), it was sorta brutal. I couldn't eat for the whole day before, and I just felt really ill for a while after.

Thanks!
Nicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
I am sorry Nicky...I hit "edit" instead of "quote" in response to your post.... So your last post shows my correction for this error... I should never type without my tea in the morning!

Here is my reply:
I would clean the skin before the waxing, with alcohol...kill off any Staph that is there before the procedure.

Your description sounds alot like Cushing's or at least PCOS. The pred can cause it or make it worse if you have it already. Androgens increase the chin hair and cause increased oiliness. You can ask the doctor for a blood test for testosterone. You might be surprised at the result! I've had PCOS all my life and understand chin hair! Mine all stopped when I started a simple supplement made for PCOS patients (to help with fertility issues). This supplement is a form of inositol, called d-chiro inositol. It also helps with the increased blood sugar caused by the hormones. (insulin resistance) . I've been using it twice a day since last Feb, and it has been wonderful. No more facial hair! The 10 or so remaining resistant hairs I can easily handle now (they are thinner and don't grow fast)! heheheheh. I wish this was known when I was younger...I would have been able to have more children (I have only the one son).
Here is the website with information:
https://www.chiralbalance.com/store/index
I can't see this simple inositol having any conflict with MG either.

All the oily hair/face is gone too. And I have more energy.

Most of the rashes from Celiac/gluten intolerance also appear on the body. This rash is called dermatitis herpetiformis and is very itchy. Here is a thread that explains the results from blood testing:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread105601.html
and
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread104889.html

I think getting tested for this is a very good idea. Chronic gluten intolerance leads to all sorts of autoimmune neurological problems in some patients.
Nicknerd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote