View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 02:51 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Daughter after concussion

Hi,
I wouldn't worry about missing school etc. What is a few weeks of your life when your health is at stake. I wouldn't put any pressure on your daughter at all.

It sounds like your daughter's concussion might be mild as it was not even noticed at first. I had a let us say more obvious concussion after a high impact car crash which left me unconscious. As soon as I came round, it was clear to me that I had suffered some sort of brain injury. So, I don't want to scare you by a comparison. However, over two years later I still have daily headaches and I have not yet returned to full-time work. If there is anything that can be done over a few weeks and months to make the problem any easier, then that is the course to take. Be mindful fo the long-term goal of making a good recovery, rather than worrying about missing school etc. In years to come what do we remember of school?

On the plus side, for your daughter being young does improve your chances of making a complete recovery. I am 54 so it's a bit harder for me. Regarding Amitriptyline. I only discovered it a couple of months ago, and it does seem to reduce symptoms, so I would tend to go with that at low doses e.g. 10mg nightly increasing the dose under the guidance of your doctor till the headache goes away.

Best of luck and I hope that she makes a complete recovery soon.

CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by adshansel View Post
Hi,

My pre-teen daughter suffered a concussion in a minor auto accident. She was the only person injured in the car and we didn't even realize it until the next day when she had a substantial headache. When I took her to the local ER, they diagnosed her with a mild concussion and sent her home with the expectation that she would be better the next day. Three days later with the same headache, we went to the children's hospital ER where they diagnosed her with a significant concussion and refered her to the trauma clinic. Three weeks later, she still has the headache, although much better, and has been out of school the whole time. We tried school once and it made her headache much worse. We have tried homework at home, but it also aggravates the headache. Ballet seems to be OK. Does anyone else have any experience with this? We are so confused! The Dr.'s said she can't return to school until she can do it without pain, but she is missing so much! They also said it can take 2-3 weeks, but we are now starting week 4. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Concussed Scientist is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hockey (12-09-2009)