Old 12-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooms View Post
Hello all,
Thanks for setting up such a friendly looking community. Really happy to hopefully find someone to talk to... I can return the favor in kind at some point. I'm an English guy in his mid 20's, making his way in Texas as best he can. I'm easy going and sensible... at least when it comes to other people's problems

So things in my life kind of came to a head, and I finally saw a Doctor about the problems I have been having. A huge step for me. It turns out I have clinical depression, serious anxiety, and OCD. oof. This isn't a huge surprise to me, but it is still really scary to have it laid out like that. Doc wrote me a scrip for Paxil. I've never taken any medication that affects brain chemistry... and honestly the thought is pretty terrifying (anxious much? ). I'd love to hear from anyone about their experiences with taking this kind of medication, especially starting out... should I be staying home at first until I know how I react to it? How do I know if it's working? Do you still feel like "you"? etc.

My anxiety is, at this moment, about the worst it has ever been. It is all I can do not to get up from my desk and run for the parking lot, leaving bemused coworkers in my wake. I know little to nothing about the above mentioned conditions. How do I tell my family and friends without them thinking I am crazy? =/

I really need advice... I'm freaking out, trouble breathing... I wasn't this way 2 months ago... In college I witnessed a very good friend completely break with reality and have to be committed. I missed my graduation because I was talking her down from a ledge, all in my cap and gown. It affected me deeply. I am terrified that I am losing my sanity and that the Paxil will strip away what remains. Without "me", what am I?
I understand very much what you are saying. Welcome to neurotalk,and I believe that this forum will be a helpful home for you.

I don't know where to begin. I've had acute anxiety for years. I've had OCD since I was about 6. I started having panic attacks when I was a teenager.

I'm on several medicines that are helping me. It sounds like your doctor has you on a antidepressant,but you really need to be on anti-anxiety medication I believe.

I'm sorry that you are having a difficult time. The Bipolar Disorder forum can be more helpful for you,because people talk on there daily. So this forum,and the Bipolar Disorder forum should be helpful.

Welcome to Neurotalk. You have found a good place for help. Brokenfriend
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dooms (12-30-2009)