View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 01:18 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Default Study: light box therapy for MIDDAY light

HI,

This very small study mentions that light box therapy caused mixed states for some patients when the light was used in the morning. When the light was used in the mid day, more patients responded successfully.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0103101121.htm
Quote:
Bright Light Therapy Eases Bipolar Depression For Some

ScienceDaily (Jan. 3, 2008) — Bright light therapy can ease bipolar depression in some patients, according to a study published in the journal Bipolar Disorders.
Researchers from the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine's Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic studied nine women with bipolar disorder to examine the effects of light therapy in the morning or at midday on mood symptoms.
Optimal response was observed with midday light therapy for 45 or 60 minutes daily, noted Dr. Sit.
Several years ago I used a light box for about 20 minutes as soon as I woke up for a week or two and got very anxious / agitated. I discontinued it.

If I tried the light box again, I would try it in the midday. The timing of the light box might be as important (or more important) than the light box itself.

Very interesting.
Here's my question.
What do they mean by "midday."

What does midday mean for a person who sleeps in the day time? My morning and midday would be different from a normal sleep person's.

-->> Maybe the point is to wait about 5 or 6 hours after waking up. I could try that and see.

M.
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (12-12-2009), Isis (12-12-2009)