View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 08:55 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

my first huge flair in 2002, I was told that I had "anxiety" and "migraines" My vision was wonky, and my leg was dragging. I so so exhausted, I couldnt let the dog out in her own yard! I reached the point, where i opened the door, and let her go. She was so great! she did her business and came right home. Anyway, after several episodes of trouble swallowing, I was told to "get over myself" by the ER. I really started to think it was all in my head. Optic neuritis set in, and an MRI was done. No one told me results, other than to say my optic nerve was "mildly inflammed" No one said anything about my lesions, or my glioma! Since MS is diagnosed over time AND space, meaning you have to have several clear cut MS episodes, and this was my first recordable (or at least the first I whined about) they all patted me on the head and sent me home.

Fast forward to 2005 when I had a huge blow up of ON, and dropped foot, with an MRI chucked full of lesions, and MS sx. Since they were able to trace sx back into history, and I had a record of lesions in the past MRI, I was thrown into the "probable" catagory. The local MD was a cold man. Told me I was "too old" to have MS. I said "well, what if I have had it for years and years?!" He responds with "nah, youre too old to have it show now." I was sent to the big city hospital MS center.

The big MS center said "there are more than 100 diseases that can mimic MS" and we started on the "rule out" run. I had blood tests to disprove B12/VitD/Lyme/lupus/infections/cancer/tumors/ and the list goes on and on and on. Once a whole boat load of the big boys were ruled out, the MS center told me about how it takes at least 2 recordable MS flares to have a dx.

I highly reccomend that you seek out an MS center. They can help you separate the facts from the fiction. A "clear neuro exam" simply means you are not in a current flair or having active sx of this disease. Odds are against you having MS, but that doesnt mean you should be dismissed, or treated like you are just whining. Dont ever allow an MD to be dismissive or talk down to you when you dont feel good. I am sure you too would like to feel better, and go home and live your life. Chasing a dx is exhausting, humiliating, and stressful. Hang in there!

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Freesia38 (12-12-2009), SallyC (12-11-2009)