Thread: post concussion
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 08:24 AM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Hi Corki and welcome to NT!

I'm sorry about your injury. All of the symptoms you are describing are "normal" for a brain injury patient.

Your injury occurred recently and there is every hope that you will make a good recovery. However, I must caution you that there is nothing "mild" about a brain injury - and, frankly, it is not a good sign that you don't remember the accident. Many doctors are not well-versed in concussion, so I would urge you to educate yourself so that you get the best treatment possible.

During the healing process, it's important not to do anything that might hinder your progress. Rest and good diet are essential. It's also important to stay away from alcohol. I have no doubt that members more knowledgeable than I will chime in with good advice on supplements and treatment options.

Understanding PCS is an important step in recovering from it. Some excellent sources for further reading include: the Brain Injury Association of America www.biausa.org; www.tbiguide.com and our own TBI forum here on NT http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum92.html If reading gives you headaches, there are a number of excellent TBI videos on You Tube. (Who knew it wasn’t just idiots surfing on cars?)

Do not take comfort in a "clear" MRI or CAT Scan. Standard MRIs and CAT scans cannot detect damage to the millions of tiny axons that control the brain. People who are obviously cognitively compromised often test "clear." If your symptoms persist, you should have a neuro-psychological examination to determine how your brain is actually functioning.

I hope I'm not scaring you: I just want to make you understand that there are treatments available, but you will have to be prepared to be your own advocate. People have made incredible recoveries from brain injury. For example, a woman who got a serious TBI from a fall in her teens is now a neurologist in Canada. Never give up!

Cheers
Hockey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote