View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 12:05 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenntaj View Post
--that ten months would be a long time after a known infection for an autoimmune molecular mimicry process to start. The antibiotic regimen might be a more likely culprit through direct toxic mechanisms. Many toxic neuropathies have acute and global onset.

That being said, there are some who seem to have evidence of molecular mimicry and don't even remember having an infection, or may have had a "cold" or something else they just dismiss as unimportant--and it turns out the "cold" was an Epstein Barr or other human herpes virus infection; a number of these have been implicated in acute onset neuropathies. The "cold" may not have even produced severe symptoms (not everyone with Epstein Barr winds up with mononucleosis), but it just so happens that whateve pathogen invaded had a shape that resembles some aspect of nerve, and the activated immune system, which works very much on shape--antibodies and macrophages 'smother' pathogens by fitting into protein cavities, like a key in a lock--cannot distinguish friend from foe.

Ciguatera, which Mrs. D mentions, is a double whammy--there are direct toxins produced and the organism also seems to have a shape that may be very close to some people's nerve components. It's likely there are other pathogens out there that do that too, and are as yet undocumented.

Thank you Glenn. I guess I will never really know exactly. I'm trying to cover everything that happened to me in the last year before I got hit with PN. Yes, I thought about the Cipro, but I just don't know. I took it rarely before in my life with no problems, and I have even taken it once after getting PN with no issues. Whenever I have taken it, it was no more then five days. I always thought that nerve damage was permanent when taking antibiotics but I can honestly say that I have had some improvement in my PN, especially from the waist up. So ten months isn't too long between taking a short course of Cipro and getting PN? I even asked a pharmacist and they said they didn't think the Cipro played any part. Again, I just don't know. I will just keep on investatgating....thanks!

Edited to add, Glenn, it was this horrid infection that gave me pudendal neuroapthy which I suffered intense pain for months...
Hope15 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote