Thread: Pred & Insomnia
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 02:02 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

hi Kendra,

I was having some issues with insomnia before too, but I think that it was because I was taking my prednisone too late in the day. I always take it around 10am now and don't have any problems sleeping.

This idea might seem overly simplistic, but do you drink alot of caffeinated drinks? Here's another one, I know that you were taking the patch before for quitting smoking. Are you taking it at night too? This can definately cause insomnia as well as nightmares. It interferes with REM and can cause you to wake up frequently throughout the night. Even if you're not taking the patch at night, taking it at all can interfere with sleep.

I find that the side-effects of prednisone seem to be sorta universal, as in everyone gets them and they're sorta similar with everyone (that's prolly not completely true, but I find that it's one of those drugs that's pretty consistent). I have a feeling that something else is causing the insomnia or at least making the slight insomnia problems associated with prednisone worse. I think that as long as you're not on a dose over 60mgs, and you're taking it early in the morning, it shouldn't be causing such severe insomnia problems. I could be totally wrong though. I hope that you get some sleep soon! I've had insomnia problems in the past, and it sure does suck!

nicky
Nicknerd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote