Thread: The (ugh) hug
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 04:47 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch View Post
I've been experiencing more and more trouble with the hug lately. It's always about the same, that tight constricting feeling in my chest, pressure on my diaphragm. But the last few days it's changed up on me. Sopmetimes I feel that same pressure much lower...I dont even know what part of my innerds is getting squished, but I feel squished somewhere below the diaphragm. I'm also getting sharp stabbing pains from the back and sides. But not a quick stab, a long slow constant stabbing, lasting a few minutes. Sometimes this comes on with the "usual" hug sensation, other times it is all by itself.

Is this just an additional MS Hug gift?
The "Ugh Hug", I like that. Much better name than the "MS Hug", which sounds so cozy and lovable. I've given it names such as the "Boa Constrictor" and the "Vice". It's been one of my worst and most constant problems that began soon after the onset of my first major MS attack in 2006. Didn't know what it was for the longest time, and had so many other major ailments to discuss with my neuro that I never seemed to get to that one on the list. But did discuss it in the early days with my PCP and GI doc, telling them it felt like a wide band of hardening cement just beneath the skin wrapping around my midriff, causing a great deal of discomfort and making it difficult to breath, as though it was constricting my lungs to the point where I couldn't expand them enough to get the oxygen I needed, and struggling to breath was only worsening my fatigue. It was a vicious cycle. Plus, the pressure and discomfort around my abdomen only exacerbated my bowel dysfunction. What fun! But after I came out with a clean colonoscopy (so to speak), my docs could only scratch their heads about what this sensation might be. They knew I had MS, but had never heard of the infamous MS Hug. After near two years, I learned what it was from reading about it on other MS forums--Eureka, I'm not alone--and THEN I finally brought it up at my next neuro appt. Well, duh... In addition to gabapentin, I take clonazepam, which takes a little bit of the edge off of it, but not much. Considering switching to baclofen or zanaflex to see if it is any more effective. Ironically, it was suggested to me by an MS Nurse just a few months ago to try wearing an abdominal binder, which I thought was a crazy suggestion. Why on earth would I want MORE pressure around my midriff? But ironically, it did help. Don't know the biological mechanics behind it, but the additional pressure somehow short-circuits or overrides the pain/discomfort you're feeling from the hug, at least temporarily. To use a poor analogy, it's like it's strangling the serpent that's wrapped around your middle and squeezing the guts out of you. I can only wear the binder for a couple of hours at a time before it begins to be counterproductive and I've got to take it off. But it's the best thing I've found yet that works for me, even if it's shortlived. I'm thankful for ANY relief from this Ugh Hug. So, it's something you might want to consider. Good luck.
Xopher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SallyC (12-12-2009)