View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 05:19 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Don,

I was prescribed Topamax in the first few weeks of my concussion to try to prevent migraines. I don't know if you have tried it yet, and I might be biased, but I really disliked the Topamax. I felt as if the side effects were awful, and I did not get any relief from the migraines while I was on it.

The Topamax made me feel as if I couldn't move. It made my whole body and mind feel heavy and slow.

I'm on a good mix of medicines right now that help me manage my symptoms. I still have headaches every day (that sound like your headaches) and other symptoms, but now I'm only getting 1-2 migraines a week instead of almost every day.

I take 20 mg of Amitriptyline every night to help me fall asleep and stay asleep. It is an antidepressant, and is used sometimes to treat TBI symptoms. I take 1 mg of B12 every day to try and help improve brain function and give me energy. I also take Treximet for when my every day headaches turn into migraines. The Treximet works really well for me, but the side effects were difficult to get used to.

A lot of others on here have more experience with other medications and supplements. I definitely didn't like the Topamax, but I'm sure everyone is different. I had a migraine every day when I was on it though.