View Single Post
Old 12-13-2009, 09:23 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

When you mentioned the lack of feeling in your hands, It makes me wonder.

What kind of sleeping habits do you have? Do you sleep on your side? What position do you hold your hands?

I find that sleeping behavior is very connected to how I feel in the morning. Personally, I need to sleep on my back with my hands either at my sides or laying on my tummy. If I roll onto my side, I will usually end up laying on an arm. Then, my hand will be numb or tingly.

It took a while to learn to sleep on my back. One trick is to put a pillow under your knees. Wearing wrist splints is also helpful. I had very bad carpal tunnel symptoms but avoided surgery by learning to sleep on my back. It is not very comfortable to sleep on your side wearing carpal tunnel wrist splints.

I also roll the sides of my pillow up so that the pillow cradles my head. I can then roll my head to the right slightly and cuddle my right cheek against the pillow.

You will need to experiment to see if you can find a sleeping position that lessens your symptoms.

Some people sleep with their fists clenched. I have done this from time to time. If I do, I wake up with miserable hands. Now, I take Neurontin before bed. It lessens the jaw and hand clinching and other muscle tension as I sleep.

Do you ever wake with a sore jaw? This would be jaw clenching and can lead to head aches.

Regarding Amitriptyline, the dose for head aches is very small. I think only 5 or 10 mgs.

I find I get good relief with just Tylenol. If the head ache is bad, I take Tylenol and aspirin combined. The combination is safe and very effective, even at maximum dose. My doctor recommended this combination.

I hope this helps.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
concussionkate (12-14-2009)