View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 01:12 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

No it is not true. In fact the peripheral nerves can regenerate.

What is true is that a certain form of neuropathy called reflex sympathetic dystrophy has a poor prognosis, but it is not that common.

If a toxin or poison or whatever is continually present, and constantly harming the nerves, and is not removed then yes, poor outlook for that.

Some nerves may be permanently damaged, but that is usually done surgically. For example I had surgery to my left instep for a vascular tumor when I was 12. ( I had over 30 stitches) The area was numb for about 20 years, but it is no longer numb today. They all grew back.

If you sever the spinal cord, it does not regenerate, those nerves are CNS nerves. Medical science is still looking for ways to repair that, to help quadraplegics and paraplegics.

When nerves die because of a genetic hereditary disorder, they do not come back either.

This is why I suggested you stop reading the net... you can find all sorts of confusing, and perhaps inaccurate scary things on the net.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitt (12-14-2009)