View Single Post
Old 01-16-2007, 09:29 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Question has anyone ever heard of this????

I have a cat that has this strange thing with his paws and I can not find any info about this anywhere.

My youngest cat (he is a maine coon cat) has a "thumb" (extra toe) on each of his front paws. This is not the weird thing. The weird thing is the claw on each of the 'thumbs'.

On both "thumbs" he has a double claw. Two sepetate and distinct claws growing out of one toe. The two claws are very close to each other, but are not attatched to each other at all.

I have seen cats with extra toes (thumbs) before.... the cat I had as a child actually had 2 extra toes on each front paw.... but the double claw thing is strange and I can not find any info about it at all.

The problem with the double claw is that the cat can not scratch the double claw very well on the scratching post, and scratching on the post is what helps cats shed their old nails so that the new growth has room.

Because he can not scratch well, he can not shed the old claws very well, so I have to help him by using the nail clippers. The biggest problem is that the double claws are so close to each other that it is difficult to get the clippers in the right place to trim one claw without huring the 2nd claw that is so very close.

Has anyone ever heard of a cat having a double claw - one toe with 2 claws?? Anyone have any hints or tips on how to better trim the claws for him??

Please don't suggest that I have the "thumbs" declawed because I would never have a cat declawed... and the double claw is not hurting him or causing a medical problem, it's just annoying to him to be unable to scratch it on the post properly (although it is amusing to watch him try) and he doesn't really like having me trim them either (but he does sit still because he wants his treat when I am done)

Anyway, I am wondering if anyone has heard of the double-claw thing or if anyone has any ideas to help me maintain/trim the double-claw better.

Thanks

Liz
Wittesea is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote