View Single Post
Old 12-15-2009, 11:41 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicknerd View Post
I agree with Annie and Jana that prednisone can be dangerous for people with bulbar symptoms....A lot of the times, they'll admit patients to the hospital when starting them on high dose prednisone to make sure they can take care of things if there's an exascerbation, or they'll start them on a low dose and slowly increase it in an outpatient setting...I was admitted to the hospital when they started me at 60mgs...

Another thing that could be causing your dizziness is anemia...I found out that plasmapheresis (or maybe at least having it as often as I was having it) caused me to have aplastic anemia...I found this out because my hemoglobin was at 85 a couple of months ago...This was after having plasma exchanges practically every month for 6-months...Suddenly, my hemoglobin went back to 124 one month later....My neurologist said that my bone marrow must have been suppressed as there is no way that hemoglobin can go up that high in that short a period of time, even with iron supplements....

And then there's the prednisone itself...It causes dizziness...i was having horrid panic attacks and vertigo when I first started taking it for a couple of months....There's also the possibility of blood sugar being too high...I was also having blurry vision and feelings like I was in a vacuum or something...It was terrifying...I still get feelings like that now and then, but I sorta got used to it...Bottom line, though, is that it's a good idea to see the doc., Tyson....Good luck to you and let us know how you're feeling...

P.S. What dose of prednisone are you taking?
Nicky
Nicky- When I had my crisis a couple weeks ago I was in the hospital for a week, recieving emergency plasma exhchanges for a few days, then after a week was let out and did outpatient plasmapheresis to get even more strong. I started prednisone when i was in admitted that weak, but yet only 20mg. (4 pills/day) and thats all he wanted me on, maybe because i had a crisis and he wanted to my body through as little as possible.

But, that information is very helpful, i will definitly make my doctor aware of the anemia thing when I see her tomorrow. Im just going to ask her to do a total workup, or as much as she can with the blood she draws tomorrow to cross out anything else on the list.

Im sorry you had those sideaffects, prednisone really does suck.

Im getting puffy and out of shape, and at 17 i hate that! Its so frustrating not to be able to go out with my friends. I just want to be cured. Im going med school to find a cure for this disease for all of us!

Thanks for your concern. I hope your feeling well.
tysondouglass is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Nicknerd (12-15-2009)