View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 09:04 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Hey Deb,

I understand about the neuropsych testing and getting results that you don't like. I too had the dreaded drop in IQ according to the test.

I had mine at the tail end of a relapse and the large drop scared me silly. I was so mad that I told my then neuro that the psych that tested me was a quack. There were so many discrepancies in the final report that I thought I got someone else's results. I wrote a letter to the psych and asked him who he tested before and after me, since I was so sure the results were mixed up! I sent a letter correcting all the errors in the report. The guy didn't even spell my name correctly!
I still get mad when I look at that report, it said the psych thought my problems stemmed from unresolved issues from childhood!!! I even called my insurance company and told them not to pay the quack.

The neuro calmed me by letting me know that he thought the IQ thing was a result of relapse, and that regardless of what the psych said, at least I had a baseline now to compare to previous IQ test results for before and after MS.

I'm over it now, but it sure did make me angry when I got the results. It has gotten much better and I regained most of the ground that I lost. There are more important parts of us than our IQ as measured on some test, and even if our IQ loses ground during or after relapse, we are amazingly resilient and find ways to compensate for the residual losses.

I have this mental picture in my mind of you all, shaking bones and bells and charms, muttering prayers and voodoo curses, dancing around in a circle of salt, with leetle glasses and tiny bottles of cheer in the middle...myyyyyy friends!

diagnosed 09/03/2004
scheduled to start Tysabri 03/05
Tysabri withdrawn from market 02/28/05
Copaxone 05/05-12/06
Tysabri returned to market 06/05/06
Found a new neuro 04/07
Tysabri 05/25/07-present
Medical Marijuana legally 12/03/09

Negative for JC virus antibodies!

I'm doing alright and making good grades,
The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!
Riverwild is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Debbie D (12-17-2009), SallyC (12-16-2009), Vonn07 (12-17-2009)