Old 12-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Hi and welcome

I dont know much about topamax , other than that it is usually prescribed for epilepsy, not the patch you mention, but I do know that my husband (who also has TS) had some rather alarming side effects, including psychosis, from clonidine

his doctor gave it to him primarily for his high blood pressure, but also because he had started ticcing again, after many years of almost non existent tics(few facial movements and a throat tic were about all left)

I noticed that you also posted on my thread re the successful treatments that helped my TS son, so you will have seen re the supplements that are helpful

I really would stress the need for extra magnesium in TS. My son now uses the Natural Calm powder mix and finds it by far the fastest acting. We get all our supps cheapest at iherb.com
Also try those Epsom salts baths (magnesium sulfate) target sells cartons of the salts in the pharmacy section. 2 cups epsom salts in a tub of warm water--soak for 20 minutes before bed.

re the testing, most conventional doctors dismiss anything other than textbook treatment for TS (ie medications) so they usually wont agree to the testing. Integrative docs (MDs or DOs trained in conventional medicine, specialized in alternative/natural medicine) are more open to it

do you have a family history of tics/TS?

any history of strep infection in your son?

does he have any food or environmental allergies?

recent vaccinations?

knowing those answers would make recommending tests easier

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (07-10-2010), waves (01-01-2010)