View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 03:11 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi David,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience and insights about PCS recovery. It really helps me to hear from someone who understands and has good ideas on how to recover. I'm not much of a video game person, but will consider getting a nintendo if that's what it will take.

After joining this group just recently, I have only now learned how important sleep is to recovery. My neurologist never emphasized that. I've been working fulltime every day since the concussion so its very hard to get a lot of sleep. I do manage to get about 7-8 hours a night. And, lately, I've been taking naps when I get home from work. Hopefully, that will help.

As for the frustration, that is the hardest part for me. I'm in my mid-40s and have always been active outdoors. But, since the fall, I have not been able to exercise as much because it makes my symptoms worse. I made the silly mistake of jogging shortly after being released from the hospital because they said there's nothing wrong with me. It wasn't til about 3 weeks after the fall that I started to have PCS symptoms. Now, I'm frustrated because I can't do much physical activity anymore. I'm too young for that!

On the cognitive side, I do notice some slowing in my processing and occasional brain fog which makes it difficult for me to focus in my work as a software developer. Early on, I noticed that my writing was not so good and I would skip words. However, that has gotten better in the past few months. My thinking is slow, but still very good. I was able to take 3 graduate level courses in the past year and excelled in them. It's more the physical symptoms that worry me.

I am going to keep your encouraging words in mind whenever I feel frustrated or discouraged.

Thanks again for your advice.

Don
pcshealer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote