View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 09:40 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Sackler,

I am glad to see you have had such a good recovery. I hope you have learned to stay away from concussion risks.

Although you may feel like you have recovered 100%, studies show you have not. Your are now susceptible to another devastating concussion. I have used less technological ways to recover from concussions starting in 1971. In non-stress situations, my recover was very high. If I was under stress, my residual symptoms were noticeable. Research suggests that my experience is normal.

We did not even have calculators back then, except for $395 HP models. I did mental math to retrain my brain. These recovery techniques worked great for many years and many later minor concussions or light head bumps. I graduated high school 23rd out of 350 even after having a full year of dismal grades after a concussion.

I suffered a moderate concussion in 1996 and used Freecell and Minesweeper to exercise my brain and recover. A mild concussion in 1999 was difficult to recover from and a extremely mild concussion in 2001 was not recoverable, no matter what I did.

The studies show that the damage from a first concussion leaves your brain weak and susceptible to future lesser concussions. As a PCS subject ages, their ability to tolerate a concussion diminishes and their ability to recover diminishes, especially after 40 years old.

The important fact to learn is that first concussions at an early age are far more recoverable. They should be taken as a wake up call to avoid impacts to the head. Concussions during puberty can be more symptomatic and spontaneously recover as the brain matures out of puberty.

But, concussions during puberty can also leave one with lifelong disabilities, especially if they effect the judgment parts of the brain. Interrupting this judgment maturing process can be permanent as the brain only develops this maturing in judgment during the 13 to 25 years.

Sackler, I would suggest that you avoid intellectually intense tasks while at altitudes, especially near or above 8,000 feet. The lower oxygen vapor pressure will magnify the residual damage to your brain.

I learned this as a private pilot. I was able to pass my private pilot written exam six years after taking the exam course while in college. As a successful self-employed person, I bought a very nice single engine aircraft ( Beech Bonanza). I did most of my flying at below 5000 feet. Once I started taking longer trips at 11,000 and 12,000 feet, I started making simple mistakes. I was not completing landing checklists properly. This can be deadly. After a few realizations, I parked the plane and eventually sold it.

Years later, I read the study ( Dr Dorothy Gronwall, 1978 and earlier) that revealed that altitude can be a trigger of cognitive problems. My problems had been after two hour flights at 11,000 or 12,000 feet. The study showed that 8,000 feet was enough to cause cognitive decline consistently in subjects who had suffered just one noticeable concussion.

btw, The Federal Aviation Regulations do not require supplemental oxygen on non-commercial flights at less than 12,500 feet. In fact, supplemental oxygen is not required on non-commercial flights of less than 30 minutes up to 14,000 feet. Apparently, the FAA does not have Dr Gronwall's study available.

So, you youngsters, work diligently for the recover that is available to you, and AVOID further risks to your head.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hockey (12-18-2009)