Old 12-18-2009, 07:48 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Default some scattered thoughts. i hope this is a somewhat helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-more-day View Post
My thing is that in order to institutionalize her I would have to sign her over to the state and I cant do that. My eighteen yr old moved out because she is scared of her.
Hello,

Signing a child over to the state does become an issue for families with children who are suffering from mental illness that cannot be accommodated in the home. It also becomes a financial issue for families.

Do you have an independent advocate or lawyer outside of the system?
Check with
www.nami.org
www.bpkids.org

Also, Donna (Dmom3005) can give you some resources on this thread.

Normally I might tell you that it is important not to sacrifice one child for another. The eighteen year old should be cherished and protected.
But the eighteen year old is now a legal adult and has already moved out of the house. Still, that 18 year old will need to go through lots of healing after the turmoil in the family.
Are you getting supportive therapy for yourself?

I don't have children so I don't know how I would handle signing over the child to the state. If the state can keep her safe and keep everyone around her safe, that is one important consideration.
Some states do better job of this than other states do.

By the way, it is possible that some of these are garbage diagnoses:
Quote:
my 10yr old daughter is bipolar1, OCD, ODD, sensory sensative and has frontal lobe seizures.
The OCD, ODD, and sensory issues might be part of the bipolar -- not separate. It's possible that the care workers are focusing on the wrong things.
I would think that the seizures and the bipolar would be front and center for treatment. The others might be reduced once the seizures and bipolar are properly treated. ~~ These are just some thought if you have not thought about that already.

Where do you live? Have you taken her to a top pediatric psychiatrist (usually but not always based at a medical school). I personally know one genius psychiatrist in Belle Mead, New Jersey.

In this story, the daughter was eventually placed in a setting that the family was happy about:
http://www.healthyplace.com/parentin...er/menu-id-61/

This is difficult.
I wish you and your family well.

M.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (12-18-2009), Hockey (12-18-2009)