View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009, 10:50 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonAlex View Post
Mrs. D, I was recently diagnosed with PN and I wanted to ask you about B6. I had been taking one multivitamin with 3 mg of B6, 2 calcium citrate supplements with 10 mg/tablet and one B50 supplement (periodically). Total B6 intake from supplements was 73 mg. My pyridoxine level was 47.4 ng/ml (ref range 5.0-30.0). I had significant peripheral neuropathy symptoms at that level. I stopped the B6 and most symptoms subsided within a couple of weeks. My current B6 level is 5.0 ng/ml and I am taking no supplements. I should add I still have an underlying mild neuropathy which my neurologist suspects is CMT. I don't have any neuropathic pain, just some spotty numbness in the feet. Everything I have read says I should be okay taking up to 100 mg of B6. Why am I different? I'd like to take some B6 just to get a little higher in the normal range. Do you recommend the P5P? By the way, I am a 60 year old male, otherwise in good health, very physically active.
Mrs. D, I think I may have mentioned this earlier, but my B6 was measured at 117 ng/ml. I was taking 25mg P5P per day as well as 17 mg as pyridoxine hydrochloride per day. I have stopped both of these supplements as requested by my doctor. It's been about 3-4 weeks and so far I do not see much difference in the burning feet, in fact, I think they may be worse. I plan to get the B6 tested in about 6 months.

And of course now I have introduced the lumbar decompression surgery into the
equation. It has been about 2 1/2 weeks since the surgery. The consensus here on the forum seems to be that I must be patient depending upon how badly the nerves were compressed (is a year a long enough time to be able to say whether it has helped or not?). I don't expect everything to just disappear but I do hope that I may get some relief and allow me to function better.
atltom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote