View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009, 04:50 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
I have been to 2 very sophisticated advanced pain conferences in the past 2 yrs. Both of them show the central pain circuit in the brain, that these antidepressants are supposed to intercept. This is typically the introduction for the 10hour seminar. This second time this spring, I really paid more attention and still it is a complex concept.

It is complex... very. I think many doctors don't even understand it. (these conferences were mostly doctors attending)

SSRI drugs like Prozac take about 3 weeks to get to the brain.
But the newer SSNI/SSRI combo drugs like Effexor and Cymbalta (they are very similar), are much faster acting.

That Ultram dosage is high. (300mg/day) So you are up there with that drug. The risks are personal and varied.

Personally I think amitriptyline is a better choice. It shows benefits for peripheral neuropathy healing...that no other drug shares. (this is fairly new). But that is only my opinion.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote