View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 11:43 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi humarock,
Welcome to neurotalk!!

First let me say that it is GREAT that you have such an optimisitic outlook on the dentistry that you are about to have done! Going into this with a positive, optimistic attitude is of the utmost importance as it will help you to remain positive as you go through the various stages of healing and adapting to your denture. It is also great that you are accepting the loss of your bad teeth which will eliminate your periodontal disease in your upper arch and looking forward to having a more esthetically healthy smile..... ALL of these things are so in your favor!!

With regard to your palatal injection..... there is no way unfortunately to totally eliminate all of the discomfort of these injections. However, usually when a patient is having several upper teeth removed at one time and an immediate denture put in, there is a pattern to giving the injections which can minimize the discomfort of the palatal ones. Also if the anesthetic solution is injected into the gum very slowly, there is usually minimal discomfort irrelevant of where the injection is given. It is when the anesthetic is forced or pushed in too fast that causes the shot to be painful not the actual needle itself. I would gently but assertively, tell the denitst as he's applying the topical anesthetic to please make every effort to minimize the discomfort of the palatal ones. It may take a bit longer to do all of the injections slowly, but it's well worth it.

Some people use homeopathic remedies to calm them down for dental work with great success. Arnica montana sublingual pellets are awesome for pre and post op dentistry. If you are interested in finding out more about homeopathic usage, let me know. Some people take valium or xanax before an appointment with good results also.

If your dentist does not offer head phones w/music or a video or some other distraction then it might help you to bring your own. Drowning out the dental experience in something that draws your attention in a peaceful manner and is so helpful. Head phones or an ipod will not interfere with the dental aspect of anything at all. I encourage patients to find music that comforts them and listen to it a couple of times a day prior to their dental appointment. This trains the brain to go into a calm and relaxed state every time they hear this music.

Let me know if you want more info on the homeopathic remedies. Again, you are so far ahead of the game with your optimism....... !!!

Keep us posted....... ~'.'~

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by humarock View Post
Hi Folks, new to this site and great timing in finding it...here's the story:
I have advanced periodontal disease in my upper teeth it is very bad. They are planning to extract all my upper teeth and put in a full set of dentures, I saw them today, they look AWESOME. I have aweful spacing and my teeth have grown 'down'....BUT my traumatic experience in the past was the Palate Injection! I had a double root canal at an old dentist, they did that and evidentally I 'fell asleep' during the procedure after that, hmm passed out probably more like it...LOL..I opted NOT to go general anesthetic due to cost any suggestions on HOW to keep myself calm before I get there so I can make it through those initial shots? THAT is the only thing that is really bothering me...not the fact they are extracting all my teeth...LOL....

Thanks in advance for any tips!
K
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote