View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 12:22 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Sleep Study

Hi Shari,

When I read your description of waking up in the middle of the night feeling sick and even more tired I wondered if you had ever had a sleep study. 35% of people with mg have sleep apnea because we have weak lungs and when we are in REM every muscle is paralyzed except for our poor, weak diaphragms. It's just a thought but for some reason what you said rang a bell with me and reminded me of how I felt before I got a ventilator (bipap) to help breath at night.

Before I was treated, I didn't have chest pain per se just a terrible gnawing weakiness in my sternum area. It doesn't sound bad, but it was torturous. Since being diagnosed with sleep apnea I have never had it again (huge relief). Turns out my sleep study showed that I was suffocating for up to 45 seconds on and off all night long. My oxygen sats were falling into the 60's. That's why I was waking up in the mddle of the night sweating with adrenaline sometimes rushing through my body. I would wake in the morning feeling like the newly dead.

Obviously this is just a thought but I wanted to throw it out to you. I think everyone with mg should have a sleep study anyway since there's a significant chance that an mg patient will have it. Still - just my thoughts.

I hope you eventually can find the answer. There have been some great suggestions here! Try to hold on, I know very well that slide into depression. It's awful.

Ally
bluesky is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote