View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 10:29 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default this poses a big question for me

Ron said, "one pushes and the other pulls"

sounds like dystonia to me, until i take meds and they become more balanced. when i took aricept, as i have been sayng, i felt extremely weak peripherally...

i asked for notriptyline simply because i remember taking it early on for weakness from the shins down and it worked..not because i understood anything about cholinergic or inhibitors. Nortriptyline is anti-cholinergic, which means it works as an inhibitor and decreases acetylcholine. it took away the weakness in my lower shins and i got better, when i didn't think i could get better.

i had to give up azilect, which at very low dose, kept me more focused, improved cognition

the neuro suggested aricept for that and later would add nortriptyline

i reluctantly said ok

it made the rest of me feel like my lower legs - i used the words paralyzed and dying. aricept was exactly what i didn't need - it was increasing acetylcholine by blocking the inhibitor, which is what Alzheimers patients need. They lack acetylcholine.

the reason i am talking about this, is i am reading that they are looking away from dopamine to non-dopaminergic therapies, and say we could have cholinergic losses. I am wondering if they mean the inhibitor - and if that means we are running on too much acetylcholine much of the time.

Acetylcholine is used for making pesticides and weaponry. How much of a role is this playing in pd?

paula

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote