View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I would not expect than an aging fleet of airplanes will cause cabin pressures to go above standard. The Federal Aviation Regulations requires all commercial turbine powered aircraft, regardless of age to maintain a maximum cabin pressure of 8,000 feet. If you have experienced a cabin pressure above 8,000 feet, it would likely be a minor deviation from 8,000 feet and either way, would justify a complaint be filed with the FAA.

Operating an iPhone in other than 'inflight' mode, is a serious violation of current TSA/FAA regulations. Apple has programmed the iPhone to disable the GPS function during inflight mode. This is a grievance private pilots have with Apple. Many would like to use their iPhone as a back-up GPS during flight. Operating a cell phone inflight is illegal because it can mess up cell tower networks as the phone can broadcast to multiple towers improperly.

It would be interesting to do an ImPACT test while in flight. It would require a control test at normal ground altitude levels for accurate reference. The ImPACT test can be purchased and downloaded to a laptop computer. It costs $10.00 per test. The uploaded test data is analyzed and the results are relayed to a health practitioner. Purchasing a 2 test license should be a reasonable task.

I have purchased and taken the ImPACT test but have not found a practitioner to have the results forwarded to. I took the test so I could understand the testing methodology. I have taken previous computerized neuro-psychological tests. The ImPACT is just a concussion oriented battery of neuro-psych tests.

There is another computerized test called CNS Vital Signs. It could also be used to check altitude sensitivities.

When I demonstrated problems with altitude, I was not aware of my errors until after I had landed. During the altitude impacted effort to follow a landing check list, I FELT like everything was normal. This is exactly how altitude problems manifest. The subject is usually totally unaware of their difficulties. High altitude climbers rely on others to observe their condition. Self reporting is very unreliable.

One of my problems with PCS is knowing where to draw the line of capability. In matters of safety, I need to be very conservative. When I have not been, Murphy pops up his angry head and stings me. As Murphy says, If something can go wrong, it will. And it will go wrong at the worst possible moment.

I have dodged many bullets, especially driving a car. When the risk is just to myself or my property, the risk may be acceptable. When the risk is to others and their property, the risk is unadvised.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote