View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 09:54 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

"I'm already receiving ssi and ssdi, however I did not get my onset date to go back to my actual onset date as a result and now I am stuck not knowing what to do in this situation. There is clear evidence to show it began at age 14, yet ssa only went back to age 22. I think the lack of records received may have been the deciding factor. Does anyone know how to fix this and cover the time period of ages 14-21??"

In order to qualify for SSDI, you have to be found disabled after your date first insured and before your date last insured. It is highly unlikely that you had six credits of coverage between ages 12 and 13 in order to be insured for SSDI so picking an onset date that far back is immaterial. Also, unless you filed this claim at age 15, there is no reason for SSA to make a decision about you being disabled at age 14 since the retroactivity of the claim cannot be over 12 months.

For SSI, the claim cannot be retroactive before the date of filing, so an administrtive onset is often chosen based on the date of filing. Again, any date before the filing date is immaterial since no payment can be made.

There is no reason for SSA to make a different onset date. And, unless your problem is based on some kind of traumatic injury, it is more likely that your condition has progressively gotten worse since age 14, even if the problems began at age 14. Also, if you have enough work credits at age 23 to be insured for SSDI, you must have been able to work for about a year and a half so your medical condition did not stop you from that gainful employment. It may have been sporadic or low earning, but you would also have to establish that it was not Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA).
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote